We are better than this.
Tonight’s presidential debate was a hot mess. A disaster. As many commentators lamented, “A sh!t show.” I am embarrassed that the two men running for the highest office of this country cannot follow the simple rules of a debate.
- Listen to the question the moderator asks.
- Answer it.
- Listen while your opponent has a chance to answer.
- If allowed, respond.
The amount of interruptions, by both men, but primarily by the current president, was abhorrent. This is what got us to where we are today. We don’t listen. You don’t have to agree with what the other person is saying, but for goodness sake, listen to them. In these debates you only have to listen for 120 seconds, and then you get your turn.
120 seconds. The amount of time to take 12 deep breaths. The amount of time to brush your teeth. Half the length of the average pop song. 120 seconds. Not an unreasonable request.
Here’s what I took away from the debate.
- The current president has no manners. He does not respect law and order. If he did, he would follow the rules his campaign agreed to when invited to the debate. The amount of times the moderator had to ask him to be quiet was unbelievable.
- The current president has no compassion. To mock another human about the death of one of their children is unconscionable. I don’t care what party you belong to. That’s cruel.
- The current president lied multiple times.
- He refused to condemn white supremacists, which have made up the majority of domestic terrorism threats. By doing this, he actively endangered Black lives.
- He claimed he paid millions of dollars in taxes. Tax documents show he didn’t.
- He claimed young children aren’t affected by COVID-19. They are.
- And there were others, and I’m tired.
And, most disturbingly, the current president cast doubt on the integrity of our elections. There have been amazingly low occurrences of voter fraud, completely statistically insignificant.
Your vote matters. Make a plan and make your vote count. And prepare to continue to organize and fight after Nov. 3. This is just the beginning.
We are better than this.
10 thoughts on “We Are Better Than This”
I know — not sure how to process what we have witnessed this evening. Except to feel shame for what OUR country has become. Sorry, world.
Seriously. I was embarrassed by what I saw.
I would like to think ‘we are better than this’ over on this side of the Atlantic but listening to our politicians discuss our current problems I’m not so certain.
Joe Biden missed his opportunity of showing a more moderate position by joining in the slanging match.
There is no change in Trump and we are keeping our fingers crossed that he will fail in your election but will he go quietly? Best of luck.
Thank you. We’ll need luck, prayers, and people voting as if their lives depended on it. Because they do.
What was most chilling for me, and what kept me up most of the night, was Trump’s statement that the Proud Boys should “stand back, and stand by” in his response to the question of whether he denounces white supremacy. I’m speechless.
That was incredibly chilling, Mindy. And the groups he was speaking about took that statement as it was meant – an endorsement of the hatred and violence they are spreading.
From Australia, I am watching in horror as Trump ravages your country… my brother lives in New York… what a terrible time you are all having. And that debate summed it up, as does your post. Is wishing you all good luck even worth doing?? Seems like a living nightmare over there 😩🙏🏼 G
I’ll never turn away a wish of good luck. 🙂 We’ve got some hard work to do in the next 5 weeks.
I’m sharing this post if you don’t mind. I watched part of the debate only to have my blood pressure levels skyrocket. It was …….!!! I’m glad I voted by mail.
I totally agree with you. To think this is a representation of the United States is disheartening. The fact that Trump would make talk about Biden’s deceased son is a poor poor display of his character, but I’m not surprised. Trump has shown us who he is from the beginning, some people just did not believe him.