We met in San Francisco in the late nineties/early naughts. We formed a fast friendship, even when one, then another, then another, then another moved away (then one moved back). We met up in new homes, on vacation, on work trips around the world, keeping in touch via group texts, Facebook, and occasional calls. When we met up it was usually in twos or threes, rarely all four of us in the same place. This year we decided to plan a long weekend away together – all four of us. As we started planning, we aimed for a spot none of us had been and decided on Banff, Canada. From the moment we landed in the airport (“Yes to YYC”) to the moment we left, Canada delighted us. Highlights of the trip included:
- scenics drives along the Trans-Canada Highway
- free admission to Banff National Park (Happy Birthday, Canada!)
- an extraordinary dinner at Three Ravens
- stunning views from our lodge (and it had a fireplace!)
- waffles and bacon for breakfast
- a hike around Lake Louise (I never knew water could be so breathtakingly blue) and up to Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse
- hot tomato soup, crusty bread, and hot chocolate at the Teahouse
- dusting of snow
- a hike in Johnston Canyon to the Lower Falls, Upper Falls, then on to the Ink Pots
- Thanksgiving poutine (turkey and stuffing and gravy over french fries? be still my beating heart…)
- a soak in the Banff Upper Hot Springs at dusk
- late night and early morning conversations in jammies
- four fabulous days with three dear friends.
This really was a great idea.
2 thoughts on “Beautiful Banff”
What great photos !! We’ve always thought about finally visiting Banff, but the prices have usually scared us off. Guess we should reconsider!
Thanks, Michael! We used mileage tickets to fly there, and found the lodging/meals were reasonable. National Park passes are free through the end of 2017 in celebration of Canada’s 150th birthday. I’d encourage you to reconsider! 🙂