I don’t know that I’ve ever indulged in such a treat – surrounding myself with 21 amazing women and not having an agenda, except to get to know each other, relax, and offer support to each other. Here are a few of my favorite moments from the weekend:
- Looking at the schedule for the weekend and noticing each day had “afternoon down time.” Scheduled just perfectly to double as nap time. Coincidence? I think not. Brilliant, organizers, brilliant.
- Having a roommate that I love. The fun of styling each other’s hair, giving advice on outfits, and giggling before falling asleep at night.
- Waking up to sunshine streaming through glass doors, meandering poolside still in my pajamas and a silky bathrobe, and savoring fresh lavender scones and ginger tea. While talking to someone who does roller derby. Roller Derby! Smitten, I say, simply smitten.
- Returning to our room and discovering tiny presents laid on our pillows, each with a simple message: grow; aspire; learn; dream. Little gifts were sprinkled throughout the weekend, which made for many delightful surprises.
- Discovering truths each woman held true. One of my favorites: Love your butt, because it’s always got your back.
- Being photobombed in the most delightful way. This embodies the spirit of Helen Jane!
- Falling asleep to a fire burning in your bedroom (contained, that is). Magical.
- Listening to stories from moms. Adoption can be a beautiful, and heartbreaking, process. Birthing has its moments as well.
- Sitting at a picnic table, at the top of a vineyard, the sun shining through the canopies of ancient oak trees, listening to this group of amazing women share the five things they’re going to tackle in the upcoming year. Grateful for support of newly found friends.
Here are some other attendees’ takes on the weekend: